Friday, August 17, 2012

Chicka, Chicka, Boom, Boom! AND a classroom donation!

I have had a great week spending time assessing my new kindergarteners!  It has been nice to spend time one-on-one with so many of them.  I hope that they are as excited as I am about this year!

We have a new addition to our classroom....a chicka, chicka, boom, boom coconut tree!  We will spend a lot of time reading the book
Chicka, Chicka, Boom, Boom by Bill Martin, Jr.  Now, we have our very own coconut tree!  The kids will have a chance to add letters to the tree as we learn and practice each letter and the letter sound.
Thank you, Gail for the materials!  Thank you, Mr. Pfister, for helping build the tree!



I got the idea from a wonderful kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Jump.  Thanks Mrs. Jump for the inspiration!

I will send home a Scholastic Book Order form during the first few weeks of school.  Look for Chicka, Chicka, Boom, Boom!  It would make a great addition to your child's home library.

We also had a large donation to our classroom this week.  Over the summer I created an account through a non-profit organization called donorschoose.org.  I created two "projects" for our classroom.  The projects consist of items that I think would enhance the learning of the students in my class.  I got an email yesterday saying that three donors had contributed to a project and that the project had been fully funded!

A shipment from Lakeshore Learning Materials should be arriving in time for the students!

Here is a picture of our new learning materials.  We will use these pieces to practice retelling familiar stories.  Retelling a story is an important standard that all kindergarten students should be able to do by the end of the year.

Lakeshore Storytelling Kits - Set 2

Once school beings, the students and I will work on creating thank you letters to the generous donors of our project.  I know your child will love using these materials!

A reminder: The Back to School Ice Cream Social will be Monday from 1:00 - 3:00 p.m.  You may bring your child's school supplies at that time. 

3 comments:

  1. I have always loved Chicka Chicka Boom Boom and can recite it by memory, as I'm sure you can. :)
    The tree looks fabulous!!! I love how it turned out. It's going to be a great addition to your classroom.
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I can't wait for the kids to see it!

    ReplyDelete